June 1, 2008

Inaugeral Days at the Rational Denial Lab

I like to think about the wine I drink. Knowing what's in the glass somehow makes it taste better. The cerebral potential inherent in enjoying wine is an important, self-reflexive safeguard against abuse. Or maybe this is just something I tell myself in a failing attempt to delay my inevitable stay at a rehab clinic in the Utah desert. I guess time will tell.

In the meanwhile, I have founded a cutting-edge, scientific laboratory. The lab is devoted to wine science almost as much as I am devoted to wine drinking. It's a place to conduct the wankery experiments I always seem to be running. These experiments -- and I use the term loosely -- range from the practical to the esoteric. They can be conservationist ("Is preserving an open bottle with inert gas worth the hassle?"). They can be educational ("What can we learn from a side-by-side tasting of neighboring vineyards?"). They can be absurd justifications for drinking on a Sunday morning ("What wine pairs with eggs?"). Wherever our oenological curiosity leads us, the Rational Denial Lab will serve as the venue for these experimental efforts...


(image: © Icefields | Dreamstime.com)

No comments: