November 11, 2009

What A Difference A Year Makes?

More than a year ago, the Lab set out on a bold experiment in patience. We stored three bottles of the same wine in very different circumstances. We stored one in pristine, 57 degree, cellar conditions. We stored one in the bottom of my closet. And we left the third in the Lab break room with a "Do Not Drink" note taped to the label.


We planned to leave them in storage for a year and then taste the wines blind to see how each fared under these circumstances.

But we forgot about them, and now it's been more than 15 months. Time to realize the results of our experimental efforts.

One of the interns pointed out that wine years are sort of the opposite of dog years. After pointing out that unpaid volunteers aren't supposed to speak during our weekly meetings, I asked what he meant by that. I'm still not sure, and I have ordered a review our Cost Cutting & Productivity initiatives. The interns are really nice, but collectively... not a lot of lights burning brightly. We might need to rehire some actual scientists.

In any case, I think what he was trying to get at was the idea that storing a wine for a year is but a blip in wine-time. Oenophiles aren't quite geologists when it comes to measuring the march of the calendar. But if collectors will still pay top dollar for a fifty-year-old Bordeaux (48-years-old anyway), what difference does a year make?

It's a fair point.

But we're tasting the wine tomorrow anyway.

2 comments:

Duke of Hurl said...

It's been over a year since I commented on this blog. You may have thought I stopped reading or took a vow of silence. We have passed each other at wine events without uttering a word. No, I haven't been ignoring you - I'm jealous as hell! This could have been my blog but instead you get all the glory... I am furious when I see you surrounded by fawning young tarts at tastings.

Now on to my opinion. I am strongly opposed to "free" internships and unpaid volunteerism! It is the lowest form of exploitation. It is common knowledge that people don't respect things they get for free. Don't give those bastards a free ride - they should be paying you!

Director, Lab Outreach said...

Duke,
How would you feel about running human resources at the Lab? Job is yours if you want it.